Research Engineer [Machine Learning Development]
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
If you want to shape the future of global education with us, join our Poznan team!
We are currently looking for a Research Engineer to join AI Products and Solutions team.
The position provides the opportunity to engage in cutting-edge research in a highly-collaborative environment that feels more like a startup than a big company. You will contribute to developing products that have an impact on millions of learners around the globe.
This position requires a broad set of machine learning skills. Ideally, you should have experience working with various types of machine learning algorithms. However, we also welcome entry-level candidates who can demonstrate strong Python skills, a knack for creative problem solving, and a drive for relentless improvement.
- Implementing, evaluating, and improving prototype machine learning algorithms, incl. deep neural networks
- Designing, implementing and monitoring production-level machine learning algorithms as a service
Evaluating technologies worth adapting in our workflow
- Serving as a bridge between our AI team and Engineering teams
- Creating and conducting internal training
- Creating technical documentation, incl. patent documentation
- Sharing your work results internally and externally (publications, conferences, meetups)
- We work in agile teams in which members can wear many hats, so you’ll have the opportunity to work on other project aspects, e.g. designing efficient solutions for large-scale data processing, designing prototype machine learning algorithms, etc.
- Proficiency in Python for data processing, esp. virtualenv, Anaconda, pip, boto3, pandas, numpy, scikit-learn, NLTK, spaCy, Airflow
- Proficiency in deep learning frameworks, e.g. Keras, TensorFlow, or PyTorch
- Proficiency in SQL and relational databases
- Proficiency in the statistical modelling and machine learning theory
- Experience with Git-based code review
- Experience with Linux or Unix
- Experience with best practices for software engineering
- Experience with working in a diverse, remote, asynchronous team
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
Nice to have
- Proficiency in cloud data processing, preferably on AWS (S3, EC2, Athena, EMR, Glue, Lambda, SNS, SageMaker)
- Experience with Natural Language Processing
- Proficiency in big data processing frameworks, e.g. Spark (esp. in Scala)
- Proficiency with low-level programming languages, e.g. C++
- Experience with GPGPU
- Proficiency in R for data processing, esp. tidyverse
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with Jupyter Notebook
What is waiting for you?
- Unlimited access to rich source of knowledge (like lynda.com, SafariBooks online, our office library)
- Participation in Polish and international conferences as well as in specialist trainings
- Access to My Benefit Platform (including MultiSport Card, cinema and theatre tickets, turistic excoursions etc.)
- Private health care, accident insurance for you and your family
- Opportunity to master your English skills at daily work and by participating in English classes
- Flexible working hours
- Paid leave for volunteer purpose
- Pearson Worldwide Save for Shares
- Work in global environment in a spacious, modern office
- Fruits, muesli and other snacks available in our kitchens
- Chillout room with X-box and foosball
About us 🙂
At the Pearson Poznań office, you’ll be joining a team that’s eager to learn and help others learn too. Just in 2018, we gave 12 talks at various educational and AI conferences and meetups worldwide. We’re also supporting the local AI community by helping to organise meetups such as Women in Machine Learning & Data Science and the Poznan R Users Group PAZUR.
We are looking for candidates at all levels: entry-level, middle, senior. At the entry level, we welcome senior candidates from closely-related fields who would like to develop in the field of AI for education, e.g. senior Python developers. Most importantly, they should have a knack for creative problem solving, and the grit needed to learn and overcome challenges in the fast-moving world of AI.
How to apply?
Please send your CV via the link. We will contact the selected candidates only.